Friday, December 31, 2010

A Last Look Back

As so many of us are inclined to do as we approach the new year, I'm taking some time to look back over 2010 and share some of the moments that stood out for me.

We started off the year learning to trust that God would take care of us in the face of unemployment. At the end of the year, I can honestly say that it's been one of the best things that's ever happened to us. We're stronger as a family, stronger in our faith, and living a life that was only a dream for us before. God is so good.

In the spring, I finally admitted to myself (and the entire world) that I have depression. It's true what they say...the first step is admitting you have a problem. Acknowledging that I suffer from depression has gone a long way towards helping me get a grip on it.

As much as I love doing things altogether with my family, I cherish the one-on-one moments I get to spend with my children individually. Bedtime is especially precious to me.

Sometimes, though, bedtime becomes a bit of a struggle. It's gotten better over the last half of the year, thank goodness, but there where days when I didn't expect to get a decent night's sleep again until 2018!

Becoming a farmer's wife has been one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life. I'm a far cry from the city girl I used to be!

Every once in a too-rare moment, I have a spark of humor that keeps even me laughing for days. With any luck, I'll think up a few more next year.

And finally...the most joyful thing to happen in this or any year came from my oldest daughter. She is a ray of happiness that has been missing in my life for far too long.

I'm filled with gratitude for all the amazing things God has done for us and with us this past year, and so very thankful to be able to share these glimpses of my life here with you. The past twelve months haven't always been easy, but the friendships I've made here online have been more of a blessing to me than I'm capable of expressing with mere words. For the laughter, tears, hugs and chocolate wishes, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It wouldn't have been the same without you.

God bless, stay safe, and Happy New Year!

6 comments:

marye said...

love you. Blessings on your family, your farm, and your year.

Stefany said...

I am happy your oldest is back in your life hon. I lose one and you gain. God is a mystery sometimes, huh? I love ya!! I hope you have a wonderful 2011!!

Petula said...

The reflections of the past year are always something, aren't they? I'm glad you found freedom and support in your revealing the depression. And realize the good that has come when you least expected it. This is a lovely post 'cause it's honest and heartfelt. I've enjoyed getting to know you and happy to call you my friend. Here's to a New Year of conquering difficulties and finding joy in change. :-)

Irritable Mother said...

Hey Wendy - I love looking back over a year gone by. Just spent time doing that this morning. And in the process, I LOVE considering the truth that God knows everything which lay ahead of me in the new year. He won't be surprised by any of it, and I can trust in Him.
Ahhhhh. *peaceful grin*

Just read your post about depression - and along with the others, I think it's great that you wrote it all out. Been wondering about my own frame of mind in recent weeks - as I have been very prone to tears, etc. So I truly appreciate your willingness to share your heart on the subject.

Love to you,
Karen

punkinmama said...

Love this post - what a year it's been!

So glad I got to read all about it and even more so that I get to continue to get to know you even more.

Hoping for a wonderful 2011 for you and your family!

MyMomfessions said...

FOUND YOU FROM OCEAN ISLE TWITTER PARTY IM IN SC TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails