Friday, September 10, 2010

A Homegrown Education

As our first growing season as "serious" farmers draws to a close, I can honestly say that it's been not only an experience, but an incredible education. It's often said that failure teaches more valuable lessons than success. In that regard, we should be scholars on gardening by now.

Lessons learned (the hard way):

A little radish seed goes a long, long way.

Cauliflower will not form heads in hot weather. BUT, they will grow when it cools back down so don't give up and pull them out prematurely.

One tripod is not enough to support twelve pole bean plants.

However high you think you need to make the stakes for your tomato plants, add at least a foot.

Pumpkin plants are like rumors. They keep spreading, and spreading, and spreading, and....

One bug seen equals 20,000 unseen.

The bigger, the better. Except for okra.

When it comes to working in the garden, you have two choices. Wear long pants, long sleeves and gloves and sweat to death, or wear shorts, t-shirt and no gloves and itch to death.

Don't put off for tomorrow the vegetables you could be picking today.

3 comments:

punkinmama said...

Hope you've enjoyed it! Imagine how much easier it will be next year!!

Way to go!

Petula said...

I'm sure it was a gigantic learning curve. Congratulations on making it to the end of the season and learning lots! :-)

I love the way you wrote this post. You should make note of all those "little" things and turn it into a book. Title it: Short tips for farming success. Do you like that idea and name? If so, then all I want in return is an entire dedication page that extols how I'm your inspiration. {Chuckle} Okay, just a thanks is fine. Or a no thanks.

Do you realize I've just used your comment section to procrastinate. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

Wonderful lessons!! I learned to garden with my mom when I was growing up. But I feel like I'm learning all over again down here. This year, I learned that I can plant seeds in September and there is still enough of a growing season for cool weather veggies. Love that!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails