Friday, July 23, 2010

A Chance To See His Past Life

After scoping out what people from my past are up to now, my husband has begun his own journey down memory lane, all the way to the point of joining Classmates.com. And guess what? They're having their 30-year reunion this fall.

I have never attended a reunion, and don't believe I've missed out on anything. From 8th grade through 12th, I attended four different schools, and the one I graduated from...well, I was only there that one year. And like I've mentioned before, I was terribly shy. It was just enough time to get to know a few people, but not nearly long enough for me to make any deep, lasting friendships.

My husband, on the other hand, graduated with people he knew most of his life. They went to kindergarten together, attended the same church together, took Boy Scout trips together....you get the idea. There's an entire half of his life filled with people, places and experiences I've never met, never seen and know almost nothing about.

And he hasn't been back since 1990.

I so badly want to take him to this reunion. I've been racking my brains trying to find a way to make it happen. To give him one weekend to go back home and be welcomed with open arms by all his old friends. To let them see the wonderful man he's become. And to share in a memory of his life that I've never had a first-hand part in before.

I'm praying God will open some doors here. I've got until late October to come up with the money, a car that can make the trip, someone willing to babysit five kids for a weekend, and a 30-pound slimmer body.

I've got a lot of work to do.

4 comments:

Jen @ One Moms World said...

Oh what a neat opportunity that would be for you all. Here's to you all getting to go back!

Irritable Mother said...

I went to my 20th reunion last summer. And only because I had joined Facebook and re-connected with several classmates.
Really.
Because I had no desire to go to a reunion (which is why I skipped the first few) until I made the FB connections and discovered we had all grown up over the years. And I had a great time at the reunion.

As for your hubby's event? The list of obstacles for you to overcome seems big, but GOD is bigger. HE can do this!

Wendy said...

Thanks Jen, I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and my knees bent in prayer!)

So true, Karen, our God is an awesome God. Nothing is impossible for Him!

punkinmama said...

Wow. That would be very cool! Hoping all the right doors open for you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails