Monday, June 28, 2010

Sweat and Bugs

That pretty much sums up the couple of weeks for us here at the Barefoot household. Temps have been in the high 90s with heat indexes (or is it indices?) around 105+ with nary a drop of rain to cool things off. It's so hot out, even the chickens' combs are drooping. We've all been sweating ourselves silly, unless we jump in the little blow-up pool we set up in the front yard. Sometimes I wish we could live in that thing!

Along with the devastating heat and lack of rain, our garden has suffered a serious pest invasion. I'm sad to report that all of our squash, zucchini, and pumpkin plants have either died or are in the process of succumbing to vine borers. We have fought the bugs as hard as we can, but to little avail. I'm counting ourselves lucky to have gotten at least a few crops harvested and in the freezer. Like everything else in life, we're looking at it all as a learning experience that we can grow from. Lord willing, we'll be able to grow some pumpkins and butternut squash in our fall garden, or Thanksgiving just won't be the same.

Unfortunately, the garden isn't the only place we've gotten bugs. Mary picked one up at Vacation Bible School last week and has since passed it on to her brother. That's the third time my kids have picked up someone else's illness at church. People, if you know or even suspect that your child is coming down with something, PLEASE keep them home! Trust me, there isn't anything so important going on that your 2-year-old is going to miss out on.

And, as if that weren't enough, the kids' computer got infected with a virus that promptly spread through our router to my desktop. We were sans computer until hubby finally got it all cleaned out and restarted. I'm just thankful he was able to backup all my picture files. I had three and a half years worth of photos on this thing, including Ben, Sarah, and Mary's homebirths. You can imagine how devastated I would've been if we'd lost those!

So, that's what's been happening in my neck of the woods. How about you?

(I'm sorry that our computer troubles kept me from finding and responding to your comments on my last post before now. If you haven't heard directly from me yet, you will. Your words of encouragement mean a lot, and I appreciate every one of you. I wish I could give you all a great big hug. Thank you!)

2 comments:

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

ugh. That's a lot of bugs! Squash bugs got my zucchini. So sad! I'm so thankful for our CSA!

punkinmama said...

Down with the bugs! Of all kinds!

Glad you're back!

Related Posts with Thumbnails