Friday, March 26, 2010

What Happens When I Don't Go Barefoot

Yesterday, I did what is surely the stupidest thing I've ever done in my entire life (and that's really saying something). I stepped on a nail.

There I was, coming back to the house after gathering eggs, and I plunged my foot straight down onto a dirty old nail sticking straight up from a piece of scrap wood lying on the ground. Even as it was piercing the ball of my foot and registering in my mind, I never broke stride. Straight down, straight in, and straight back out again.

And the two thoughts kept repeating themselves as I limped my way across the yard were:

I can not believe I just did that.
and
My shoe is filling up with blood.


Hubs was quick to clean and dress the wound before getting on the phone to find the nearest and cheapest doctor's office for me to get a tetanus shot. Would you believe it, these people want upwards of $200 for something as simple as a tetanus shot????

The long-story-short is that I got my shot this morning at a county health clinic for $25. It was unfortunate for me that I arrived fifteen minutes too late yesterday (after driving 40 minutes to get there).

And the lessons learned from this little experience?

1) Doctors charge ridiculous amounts for the simplest things.
2) While I don't recommend it, I have to admit that getting injured was a great motivation for Hubby to get the scrap pile cleaned up.
3) Never, ever, under any circumstances, look up medical stuff on Wikipedia (unless you really want to scare the bejeezies out of yourself.
And 4) If I'd been barefoot, I would've been walking around a lot more carefully and most likely would have avoided the entire accident. That's what I get for not living up to my own name.

3 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

*Barf*

Are you ok?!?!? That sounds so awful!!!!

Marye said...

exactly. Barefoot is the way to be... :)

punkinmama said...

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

I now have the heebie-jeebies!

Hope you're doing okay now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails