Thursday, February 11, 2010

My Nest Is Blessed

It's amazing to me that my little Mary is already six months old. What amazes me even more is that we're still breastfeeding.

When Mary was born, she had no trouble latching on and getting right down to business. For the first week, she was a vigorous nurser and I was enjoying every minute of it. Even the late night feedings didn't bother me. I've always loved the time it would allow for us to bond.

But then things started to go awry. To this day I still don't know exactly what happened, but suddenly Mary was having a lot of difficulty latching on properly. I'm a stubborn woman, especially about breastfeeding, so I kept trying and kept trying. The end result was that my nipples got incredibly damaged to the point that I would cry in pain while nursing, my milk supply dropped drastically in one breast, and I developed mastitis three times. I don't think I've ever felt as devastated and depressed as I did then.

Crazy as I am, I still wouldn't give up. I started pumping what I could, and supplementing when I had to with formula.

Fortunately, with a lot of love and support from my husband, my big girls, some amazing friends on Twitter, and an incredibly kind woman at GNC that I'll never forget, my body was able to heal. The first time I nursed Mary again without wanting to scream made me shed tears of joy. I would still have to supplement with formula, which turned out to be a nice way to let the rest of the family have time with her, but I didn't have to completely give up the precious, quiet moments I'd looked forward to sharing alone with my sweet baby.

About a month after my nursing troubles ended, I was getting back into the swing of things when something wonderful happened. I won a Nest Egg from Blessed Nest! I've long been a fan of Heather and Donna's blog, and couldn't believe my luck when I got the email telling me the good news.

Of all the baby essentials I had prior to Mary's birth, I wish I would've thought to get a Nesting Pillow. Keeping Mary in position was such a struggle. I really could have used something that would have helped keep Mary in place once I got her there, like the Nesting Pillow does. Even though my Nest Egg is smaller than the full-sized Nesting Pillow, it does a great job of providing some extra support, and the filling of organic buckwheat hulls provides comfort and stability. So important when trying to nurse a wriggly baby. Even my big girls enjoy using it when they give Mary a bottle!


I don't know how much longer I'll have the pleasure of breastfeeding my dear little one. She's already got two teeth on the bottom, and her top two are threatening to come out any day now. (Yikes!) I've been blessed to be able to continue this long, despite all the obstacles.

I do know one thing. Even after nursing and bottles go by the wayside, Mary will still enjoy snuggling up with her Nest Egg. She'll be using it well into her toddler years. Thanks again Donna and Heather!

In the 1 in 2,497,328 chance that someone from the FTC might actually come across my little blog and wonder what's up, here's a disclosure: I was not asked to review, promote, or in any way mention the Nest Egg, Nesting Pillow, or its manufacturers. I was given no compensation for this post, other than the satisfaction I gave myself of thanking some wonderful women that created a product I genuinely enjoy and admire. I obtained my Nest Egg in a legitimate online giveaway last October that also followed FTC disclosure policies. So there, pbbbt!

3 comments:

Angela said...

I'm so glad you didn't give up! Way to go! :-)

Kelly said...

I just found your blog through 5 Mins. for Mom! I'm a HUGE LOST fan too! :-)
I have a blog, but it's private (I was getting some not-so-nice comments), but if you'd like to stop by just send me your email address and I'll send you can invite!
kellytwatson@yahoo.com

Wendy said...

Thanks Angela, it was a struggle, but it was SO worth it!

Hi Kelly! Always glad to meet another Lostie! Hope you got my email, I'd love to come by and visit! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails