Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The LOST Art of Humor

Photobucket


Today is Top Ten Tuesday. Tonight begins the final season of Lost.




Think it's just a coincidence? Maybe.

But then again, maybe not.

Was it a coincidence that Lost was available on Netflix Instant Watch so I could get forever and completely addicted to the best show in the history of television! get caught up on the first four seasons while I was up at night with a newborn last fall? Maybe.

But the fact that season five became available two days after I finished season four????

Maybe.

Or maybe the island wanted it that way.


Okay, I'll stop with the melodrama. But seriously, could I have let this day pass without offering up my own Lost tribute? I think not.

One of the innumerable things I love about Lost is the humor that intertwines its way through the scenes like a smoke monster through the jungle. Some of the comedy is obvious, some much more subtle. I could give endless examples, but here are a few bits that tickle my (occasionally bizarre) sense of humor.

1. Season 1 - Pilot, Pt.2

Sawyer: "I saw a guy lying there with an ankle holster, so I took the gun. Thought it might come in handy. Guess what? I just shot a bear!"
Kate: "So why do you think he's a marshall?"
Sawyer: "Because he had a clip-on badge. I took that, too. Thought it was cool."

2. Season 1 - Solitary

Jack: "Hurley, you built a golf course?"
Hurley: "Rich idiots fly to tropical islands all the time to whack balls around."
Michael: "All the stuff we gotta deal with, man, this is what you've been wasting your time on?"
Hurley: "Dudes, listen. Our lives suck! Everyone's nerves are stressed to the max. I mean, we're lost on an island, runnin' from boars. And monsters. Freakin' polar bears!"
Michael: "Polar bears?"
Charlie: "You didn't hear about the polar bear?"

3. Season 1 - Numbers

Hurley: "Dude, do not do that right now! Leave the bulb for another time, man."

4. Season 2 - Man of Science, Man of Faith

John: "Jack thinks I'm crazy, doesn't he?"
Kate: "Why? Because you want to drop into a hatch that's been locked from the inside by a foot-thick steel door that says 'Quarantine'?"
John: "Well, look at the bright side. The damage is done."
Kate: "Bright side."
John: "And if Jack thinks I've lost it, I can't blame him, really. Then again, five hours ago I was pulled into a hole by what appeared to be a column of black smoke."

5. Season 3 - A Tale of Two Cities

Tom: "Hey! You got yourself a fish biscuit! How'd you do that?"
Sawyer: "I figured out your complicated gizmo, that's how."
Tom: "Only took the bears two hours."

6. Season 3 - Tricia Tanaka Is Dead

Sawyer: "Son of a...What's a head doin' back here?"
Hurley: "Oh, that's just Roger."

7. Season 4 - The Other Woman

Juliet: "You knew this would happen. You sent him out here because you knew this would happen. You wanted this, you wanted him to die! Why?"
Ben: "Why? You're asking me why?!? After everything I did to get you here, after everything I've done to keep you here, how can you possible not understand.....that you're mine. (long pause) Take as much time as you need."

8. Season 4 - There's No Place Like Home

Ben: "Am I interrupting?" (Jack points a gun at him.) "Nice to see you too, Jack." (Ben walks past Jack towards John.) "Couldn't find the antheriums, could you?"
John: "I don't know what they look like!"

9. Season 5 - Because You Left

Hurley: "Want a fry?"
Sayid: "No, thank you."
Hurley: "You know, maybe if you ate more comfort food, you wouldn't have to go around shooting people."

10. Season 5 - Because You Left

Richard: "Pay attention. Next time we see each other, I'm not gonna recognize you, alright? You give me this. Alright?"
John: "What is this?"
Richard: "It's a compass."
John: "What does it do?"
Richard: "It points north, John."


Yes, I have a twisted sense of humor. But it's better than none at all, right?

7 comments:

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates said...

Hee,hee! Love it! I've got to make sure I get everything done before tonite so I can just sit back and enjoy. I did put the Lost numbers as my facebook status today just to be funny. One person likes it so far - I think most are totally confused - LOL!

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

"Maybe the island wanted it that way." You are cracking me up!! Love it!!

GREAT list! I'm so excited I am about to jump out of my skin! I have to put LB to bed tonight since Hubs in working until 7. Keeping my toes and fingers crossed that she'll be asleep by 8!!!!!!

oh amanda said...

Oh my. I wish I could come up with some to add. LOVELY.

CANNOT WAIT FOR TONIGHT. WHEEEEE!

the J in PJs Til Noon said...

Ditto to Heather's jumping out of skin excitement.
The last time I was this excited was for the U2 concert.
And I totally cheated with frozen pizzas so I wouldn't have to think about dinner today.
Aaaaaahhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

punkinmama said...

I LOVE this show! Had a great time watching on Tuesday. Afterward, I said to my husband, "I didn't understand a thing that just happened, but I LOVED every minute of it!"

Wendy said...

I hope everyone loved the premiere as much as I did! SO looking forward to next week!!

I really don't watch much tv at all anymore, but I'm completely addicted and obsessed with this show! I love the "this is so complex, there are so many twists and turns, I don't know who's good or evil and just when you think you understand something it turns out you're totally wrong, it makes my brain work so much it almost hurts" effect it has on me. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Rebecca said...

I love love love this list!

Related Posts with Thumbnails