Thursday, January 7, 2010

At A Loss

I just got off the phone with my husband, and I'm at a loss as to what to think. He couldn't talk long, but what it boils down to is this: His boss is trying to get rid of him. Hubby was told that he needs to decide whether he wants to step down as Assistant Store Manager, or risk being fired. My husband told him he'd need to talk to me about it, and should have an answer for him by Saturday.


I don't know what to think about this, and I certainly don't have a clue what advice I can give him. Our savings account got wiped out a couple months ago after too-many-things-to-count needed to be repaired or replaced. The van is kaput, again. I think it's the fuel pump, but I have no way of finding out because I can't even afford to have it towed to a shop, let alone looked at. So, having no income for any length of time is not what I would consider a very tenable position for us at the moment.

Stepping down could have its benefits. My husband would no longer be subjected to working 70+ hours a week for 45 hours of pay. He'd have a much more reasonable schedule, and if he did have some occasional overtime, he'd get paid for it. But there's no telling how much of a pay cut he'd be subject to, and that's not something we can take lightly. Plus, he'd still be working for the man who, pardon me for saying this but it's true, has been intent on making Eric's life a living hell for the past eight months. Not to mention the principle of the whole thing. When the manager is gone on vacation (about once a month, I kid you not), the store runs a lot smoother under my husband's leadership.

The truth is, Eric has saved this man's job several times since he transferred in, and now he wants to replace him?!?!? Personally, I think he feels threatened by Eric, but whether that's true or not doesn't help us figure out what to do.

The only thing I can think of is Romans 8:26-28: "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

ALL things.

2 comments:

Stefany said...

I am assuming this is not union since it sounds retail so I guess there isn't much you can do. Can he transfer to a different store maybe? If he has to step down, maybe that will only be for a short time and he can look for something else. It will all work out.

Sometimes we don't understand God's plan. Just remember there is one and try to keep your faith in Him.

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

Well, I'm reading this on Sunday, so I am assuming y'all came to a decision. I pray that you were able to hear God's voice leading you to make the right decision. I know it's tough, and it's scary. We've been on a faith walk with our finances for the past 12+ months, and even though we have faltered at times, God continues to bless us and provide for our needs. And we have learned that sometimes (a lot of the time?) there is a difference between needs and wants.

Hugs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails