Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Top Ten Tuesday - Favorite Christmas Songs

I love music of all kinds, but Christmas music will always hold a special place in my heart. Here are my absolute top ten favorites.

#1: O Holy Night - Donny Osmond
Yeah, I know, the guy with too much smile and really purple socks, right? How seventies can I get? But as much as I completely love almost any arrangement of this song, this is truly my absolute favorite.

"He taught us to love one another,
Chains He'll break, for the slave's our brother.
Hymns of joy, chorus raised
All within us lifts up His name."


I get chills every time I listen to it.

#2: White Christmas - The Drifters
A very fun Christmas classic. My favorite part? Singing it with my family, de do de doops and all. I dare anyone to listen to this and NOT start smiling (or singing along!)


#3: Angels We Have Heard On High - My daughters
My big girls have loved exercising their vocal skills to this one since they were wee little tots. Glo-ooooo-ooooo-ooooo-ria... I never get tired of hearing them.

#4: Carol of the Bells - John Williams
Yes, the version from "Home Alone". To me, it just has that kind-of-gothic-hauntingly-beautiful-and-magical-but-not-really-scary-just-classy sound to it. Don't know a better way to describe it.

#5: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings - BNL (and sometimes Sarah MacClachlan)
Two songs for the price of one! I love the jazzy bounce. Who would've thought you could get such a cool arrangement out of such old songs? Apparently, they did. (And really, an accordion in a rock band? Dude!)


#6: Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
Doesn't it make you wanna throw a party? Seriously.

#7: Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms
Another classic from my parent's generation, and one I'm glad to share with my own children. Happy stuff.

#8: The Twelve Pains of Christmas - Bob and Tom
Okay, I'm blushing and a tad embarassed to admit this, but....I like snarky humor. And it doesn't get much snarkier than this. "The sixth thing at Christmas that's such a pain to me...Facing My In-Laws." Guilty as charged. (Seriously, though...I love my in-laws, but even my husband admits that they're a bit much. Especially around holidays. And having a chuckle or two about it helps me deal with it. Better than fuming, wouldn't you agree?)

#9: Christmas Time is Here - Vince Guaraldi (and the Charlie Brown Singers)
From the first notes, can't you just see little kids walking home from school in the snow, ready for Christmas vacation? This song evokes more childhood memories than I can say. It is the feeling of Christmas time.

#10: The rest of the Charlie Brown Christmas album
Yes, all of it. See #9.

So, how about you? Got any Christmas favorites I didn't include?


Photobucket

3 comments:

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

Oh my word, I forgot how much I love listening to Donny sing. That absolutely brought tears to my eyes, because O Holy Night is my favorite Christmas song (not anything to do with how amazing Donny is!).

I'm so blessed - this year I'll be singing O Holy Night on Christmas Eve with my talented husband.

We Are Family said...

I love the Charlie Brown Christmas Album. It's on repeat a lot during the season. Great list. Merry Christmas.

oh amanda said...

I LOVE Charlie Brown Christmas!! And Harry Connick...love me some Harry Connick! :)

Merry Christmas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails