Friday, July 24, 2009

Pregnant Forever

Seems like it's been a long time between then...



...and now.



Beyond the obvious meaning, Merriam-Webster also defines "pregnant" as: 1) abounding in fancy, wit, or resourcefulness, 2) rich in significance or implication, or 3) having possibilities of development or consequence.

Well, I don't know that I've been abounding in fancy or wit, but life here on the farm has taught me a new level of resourcefulness.

Rich in significance or implication? Well, I'm giving birth in this home that was built in 1856 and hasn't had a homebirth in it since the previous owner's great-grandmother was born here. The daughter of the previous owner (the executor of the estate) and I became fast friends when we met because I apparently remind her so much of her own mother. Does an overwhelming sense of coming full-circle have significance? For me, I'd have to say "yes".

But it's that last definition that rings the truest. Having possibilities of development or consequence. Not just for the baby, but for me. I like the way that sounds...possibilities of development. With every new child, I've discovered the possibility of development within myself. From the scared, timid, insecure 19-year-old first-time mom I once was, to the empowered, self-confident and wiser 40-year-old sixth-time mom I am now. What a long, amazing journey it's been.

Having possibilities of development. If that's the case, I hope my life is pregnant forever.

9 comments:

Crazed Mom said...

I love you very round belly!!! I was fortunate enough to hold two newborns at clinic Wednesday. Sooooooooooooo sweet. Smell so good. I think I am the baby whisperer.......LOL.

marye said...

I like you Wendy. I seriously do.

Wendy said...

CM - Ahhhh, the sweet smell of baby. :)

Marye - Good, because I heart you my friend.

Donna ~Blessed Nest said...

your belly is beautiful but I know it does feel like forever! Heather's sister has only 1 week left!

FYI Yes, Heather would love to meet up with you when you are in and around Lawrence. By the way, I want to love on a Farm too. I know it's not all glamor...hehe bit I do want a farm.

Wendy said...

Donna - How cool! I'm sure Heather is getting excited to be an aunt soon! And I love life on our small farm...I hope you get yours someday. :)

Sugar and Spice said...

Hi! I saw your comment on Mckmama! I wanted to share my website with you: Sugarandspice1.etsy.com
I will be donating a portion of all sales to the String of pearls to help families and babies like Stellan! I am trying to get it out there in any way I can! Please let your family, friends etc. I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!! :)
-lexi
Sugarandspice4baby.blogspot.com

Crazed Mom said...

Wenders. I know you attach at conception like I do. Just the usual skin to skin contact right after birth, breast feeding as often and long as possible, calling the lil money by name, helping your other kids to attach to baby. I am positive you are quite the expert at all of this.

Love and prayers are with you.

Amy @ Six Flower Mom said...

I read this awhile ago but have been way behind on commenting!

I really like this post, it is great!

Kelly said...

No, those cows are not mine. They come and visit my mom every spring.
Kelly-Sher's daughter

Related Posts with Thumbnails