Friday, January 23, 2009

What Happens in the Kitchen, Stays in the Kitchen

I have a confession to make. I'm not a gourmet chef.

In fact, I'm not a gourmet anything in the kitchen. Oh, I can cook tolerably well. (My husband has actually gained weight since we've been married, despite the fact that he does NOT live on coffee, doughnuts and fast food anymore, so that's got to count for something, right?) And yes, I do know how to bake...a little. Granted, I make THE best apple pie in the world, according to hubby, but it's not exactly the most photogenic thing in the world. I mean, it tastes to die for, but you'll never see a picture of it in Bon Appetit.


See what I mean? And that's definitely one of my better attempts.

The point I'm getting around to...(I know, I'm taking the long way getting there...can I blame my rambling wordiness on the baby? Yeah, I think I can.)

Oh yeah, the point I'm getting around to is that I'm not above taking serious short-cuts with my cooking. Now, let me state for the record, I'm NOT talking about using Hamburger Helper to convince someone I've made a killer Boeuf Bourguignon. No offense to anyone that likes Hamburger Helper, but...well, let's just say it doesn't have a place in my pantry. Ever.

So, if you're one of those "I-create-gourmet-eight-course-meals-every-day-while-maintaining-forty-seven-different-blogs-and-homeschooling-sixteen-children-AND-managing-a-52-acre-spread" *coughMaryecough* feel free to turn up your nose and walk away without continuing.

For the rest of us, here's a little gem of a recipe I discovered recently. It is, without a doubt...

The Easiest Cookie Recipe EVER!!!



Remember that commercial where the woman acts like she's been slaving in the kitchen for hours to make her family some rice-puff, marshmallow-goo treat? Yeah, you know the one. Trust me, this is ten times easier, and way, way yummier.

Here's what you do. Take one box of cake mix, any flavor. Mix that with one large egg and two cups of Cool Whip. Form dough into little balls and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. That's it.

Seriously, that's all there is to it. See? I told you, it's the easiest cookie recipe EVER! Granted, you can fancy it up by adding a teaspoon of the flavoring of your choice, or (my personal favorite) rolling the dough balls in powdered sugar before baking, but you don't have to. These little gems are fantastic just the way they are. (To date, we've tried orange, lemon, yellow cake and carrot. I have to say, the carrot ones are my favorite so far. They have, to my taste buds, a gingerbready kind of taste to them. Especially when they first come out of the oven, all warm and soft. Mmmmmm!)

(And if "gingerbready" isn't a real word, it should be.)

But don't be surprised at how soft they are when you pull them out. I cooked my first batch almost twice as long as I was supposed to because I couldn't believe they were thoroughly cooked, and they were STILL soft and chewy. I can't tell you if they harden up later, because none of them last longer than 20 minutes or so in my house. I think five minutes is our current record.

And any recipe that's fool-proof enough to survive MY culinary ineptitudes is surely good enough for yours. Not that you have any. I'm just sayin'.

So, give it a try this weekend and tell me what you think. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Oh, and Marye, you know that jealousy is the second most sincere form of flattery, don't you?

1 comment:

Nell @ Casual Friday Everyday said...

I need something sweet now! Thanks. lol

:--) Nell
CasualFridayEveryday.com
Twitter.com/casualeveryday

Related Posts with Thumbnails