Monday, February 11, 2008

Playing With My Food

I've been getting a little more comfortable with trying out new ideas in the kitchen, and that's really saying a lot for me. For someone that has little experience (and even less confidence) with food experimentation, I'm excited about what I cooked up the other day.

And this time, I took pictures.

I'm not going to write this out in a formal recipe format. Instead, I'm going to lay it out for you just the way I did it.

First, I took one package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut the breasts in halves and placed the pieces in a 9x13 baking dish. Then I added peeled, quarted white potatoes. Next, I chopped half of a medium-sized yellow onion into thick slices, added those to the dish, and drizzled olive oil over all of it.

Then came the seasoning, but with a little twist. I gave everything a light sprinkling of garlic powder, parsley, sea salt and ground black pepper over all, as I've done many times, but then I followed it up with Italian style bread crumbs. Not so much that it made a heavy coating over the chicken and vegetables, but liberally enough so you could definitely get the texture of it.



Into the oven it went on 350 degrees until the chicken was a light, golden brown and the potatoes were cooked through (about 40 minutes).



I know this isn't the most radically new recipe you've ever heard of, but I was pretty proud of myself for trying something, anything, just a little out of the ordinary. And you know what? My daughters said the chicken was "fantastic", and the potatoes were pronounced, "the absolutely most delcious-est potatoes EVER!" And these girls love potatoes.

Here's my take on it: I didn't want to drench the chicken and give it a standard coating, so sprinkling the bread crumbs gave it just the amount of texture I was looking for without the extra prep-time. The onions, however, is what really made the dish special. They added a sweetness to the chicken and potatoes that took it to a whole different level without being overpowering.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this dish. The prep-time was minimal, and the results were fantastic. Sometimes, it really pays to try something different. Thank goodness, this was one of those times.

Happy cooking!

3 comments:

DidiLyn said...

Sounds like a winner, Wendy. I myself am a potato girl. :-)
Diane

Wendy said...

So is one of my daughters, and she totally raved over this. You gotta love that kind of response. :)

Rachel said...

Okay...

it is absolutely MANDATORY that you make this when I come home on Spring Break. *nodnod*

....Pleeeeeease?? *puppy eyes*

Related Posts with Thumbnails