Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Italian Meatloaf

I didn't get my menu plan up for the week yesterday. That's what happens when you've got two small children with runny noses taking turns keeping you up most of the night.

Anyway, I'm fixing Italian meatloaf for dinner tonight and thought I'd share my take on this classic standard.

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
1 small can tomato sauce
1 egg
1/2 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs*
1 cup shredded mozzerella cheese*
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese*
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder*
1 teaspoon oregano*
1 teaspoon basil*

Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Use your hands to get it mixed well (I saw Alton Brown say that you shouldn't "squish" the meat up when making meatloaf, but I have too much fun doing it to stop.) Transfer meatloaf to baking dish (I use aa square as opposed to the traditional loaf pan). Place dish in oven preheated to 350 degrees. Bake until done, approx. 40-45 minutes, draining excess grease halfway through.

*All measurements are approximate. This is one of the few dishes I never measure the ingredients of. I've always eye-balled it, and never had a problem. I apologize if this makes it difficult for anyone to try fixing this for themselves, but it's the closest I can be to accurately sharing how I make it. Besides, experimenting is half the fun. Give it a shot!

1 comment:

DidiLyn said...

I Love the new look of your recipe blog. Very clean and classy style.
BTW, Josiah is driving home through the snow as I type. Just one more mountain pass to go; he is about 100 miles away before he is within hugging range. Hurray!! I'll be taking pictures and feeding him. :-)
Diane

Related Posts with Thumbnails