Friday, February 15, 2008

Family Fun Night

About every other weekend, we all get together in the kitchen to fix pizza for dinner. I was fortunate enough to get my mother's recipe for dough before she passed away, and it's the best I've ever tried.

Pizza Dough (for 2 pizzas)

4 cups of flour
4 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cups hot water

Blend dry ingredients. Slowly add water, stirring constantly. Knead extemely well (at least 5 minutes, about 7-10 minutes for best results). Cut in half. Work each piece separately with rolling pin to desired shape and size. Transfer to pizza pan that's been lightly greased with olive oil. Add sauce and toppings and bake at 350 degrees until golden brown on edges.

A few tips: To easily transfer dough to pan, roll it onto your rolling pin and unroll from the pin onto your pan. Don't worry if it doesn't quite fit the pan. If you've done your dough properly, it should have some elasticity to it, allowing you to stretch it a bit to the necessary dimensions. More often, it'll be too long, though, and you can simply trim the ends. In the event of a tear, simply take some excess from the edge and patch the hole with it.

Everyone has their own version of sauce. Mine is simply whole, peeled tomatoes put in a blender and pureed for about 5 seconds.
After spreading sauce on dough, I sprinkle oregano and basil over it.


In addition to mozzarella, try sprinkling grated parmesan cheese over it.


Beyond that, you can go with pretty much any toppings you choose. Since I have youngsters that don't always feel like trying something new, we generally stick with either pepperoni, or the basic cheese pizza. I'm fine with that because the important thing to me is that we all pitch in and we have fun making it. One daughter is in charge of tomatoes and cheese, one oils the pans and kneads the dough, and my husband slices it up and serves. When it's all said and done, it's time for pizza and a movie. Now that's what I call a fun family night. Enjoy!

4 comments:

DidiLyn said...

Yes! Can't wait to try the pizza dough recipe. I have one, but it is not too great, so we usually buy the boxed mix for dough. I'll try yours this weekend.
Thank you!
Diane

Rachel said...

I MISS IT!!!! ((sob sob sob))

Johnina said...

My dough always come out like crap! I may try this one if I ever get back the nerve to make my own dough.

<---That Girl said...

Just curious...Have you ever used it to make bread sticks?? I love bread sticks, but the ones from the pizza places are so doggone greasy that it's sickening. Thanks for sharing this special recipe. I can't wait to test it out in our kitchen!

Related Posts with Thumbnails