Tuesday, January 15, 2008

When "Easy" Isn't Easy Enough

Today was one of those days that my husband refers to as "wide open". He went to the church this morning right after breakfast to oversee the new lighting that's being installed, got home around 12:30, and found out that his schedule at work got changed again. Instead of going in at 5:30 this evening, they wanted him in at 1pm.

So, yeah, I've pretty much been on my own at home all day with the kids.

These are the days that I can't help but think about military wives and what it must be like to not see your husband for months or years at a time. I'll tell you, I've got deep, sincere respect for women that can do that.

Well, with such a wide open day, it's not surprising that I fell behind schedule and got dinner started later than I had planned. Which means I had to change my menu. Originally, I would've made Easy Chicken Casserole tonight (a recipe I'll be sharing with you in the near future...watch for it!) But even though it truly is an easy dinner, I had no time for prep-work.

And that's where today's recipe comes in.

The hands-down simplest, fastest dinner recipe I've got is Herb Baked Chicken. Credit for this dish goes to my husband since he's the one that taught me how to do it. (And you're free to laugh at me for not figuring it out on my own.)

All amounts are approximate.

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon rosemary

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Trim fat and divide chicken breasts into single-serving pieces. Place in 9X13 baking dish. Drizzle olive oil lightly over breasts. Sprinkle with seasonings. Bake about 20-25 minutes or until insides are no longer pink.

See? Fast, easy and delicious. You can't beat that.

2 comments:

DidiLyn said...

I won't make fun of you. My husband had to teach me everything he knew about cooking (which wasn't a whole lot) because neither of us knew how when we got married. It was like the blind leading the blind and we had frozen Banquet chicken more times than not.
I'll try this recipe soon on one of "those" days.
Thanks!
Diane

Wendy said...

I think learning to cook with your husband is a great way to spend time, especially when you're newlywed. ;)

Hope you like this one. Let me know what you think of it when you try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails