Saturday, January 5, 2008

Starve a Cold, Feed a Fever

I've never known if there's any veracity to that statement, but I can tell you this. Yesterday, I was sick as a dog with a head cold, and all I wanted throughout the day was either orange juice, or hot apple cider steeped with Oolong tea.

I don't know why the cider/tea combination works so well. Orange juice has vitamin C, so that seems pretty obvious. But I've tried the cider without tea, and the tea without cider, and don't get the same result as I do when I mix the two together. Go figure.

Thankfully, I'm much improved today, but there's a whole season of winter still ahead, and I won't be surprised if I get one more mild case of sniffles before it's over.

So, I'm wondering...what's your preference when you're under the weather: juice, hot tea, or something else? Got any homemade recipes/remedies that do the trick for you?

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Eating as much of *anything* as I can possibly stand usually makes the biggest difference - I've found that my body really needs the calories when I'm sick.

Any hot liquids I can add into the mix helps, too.

Bake your cake and eat it too said...

I definitely stand by honey lemon water. So soothing.

Wendy said...

I'll keep both of those in mind the next time the bug strikes. Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

I swear by Gatorade. I only drink it when I'm sick (especially sick to my stomach). Of course, I also love tea with honey

marye said...

Nyquil Straight. Chugged from a dirty bottle. Yum.

Wendy said...

I wouldn't expect less from you, Marye. You're a tough ol' broad. ;)

napaboaniya said...

For sniffles, I always boil a can of Coke with a few slices of lemon. Sip it :)

Wendy said...

Laura, thanks for the Gatorade tip. I wonder if that would work with morning sickness, too?

Napa, I've never heard that one before, but I'll remember it the next time hubby comes down ill. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails